Diabetes Training and Workshops
Positive Diabetes offers a range of workshops for people with diabetes and for healthcare professionals. Please contact us to discuss your requirements directly .
The Psychology of Diabetes
This innovative course has been designed to help health care professionals working with clients with diabetes increase their one-to-one communication skills and raise their confidence in working with clients who are struggling with the psychological impact of diabetes.
By the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Fully understand the psychological challenges faced by the client with diabetes (type 1 and type 2).
- Provide emotional support to clients who are struggling with the emotional impact of diabetes.
- Use a client-led approach to collaboratively develop effective coping strategies.
- Implement strategies informed by cognitive behavioural therapy, as recommended by NICE guidelines for clients with chronic health problems and symptoms of depression.
- Make effective interventions and tackle the sensitive issues that can arise during one-to-one sessions.
- Identify the potential barriers to changing lifestyle behaviour and find new ways to support people.
- Identify clients who are experiencing more serious mental health difficulties, e.g., depression and anxiety, and when and how to refer for further psychological support.
The course consists of a mixture of presentation, discussion, group work and experiential learning.
Techniques from cognitive behavioural therapy and motivational interviewing will be demonstrated and participants taught how to apply them appropriately across a wide range of clinical situations.
This course can be delivered in your local NHS service. If you would like to organise this training or if you have any questions, please do send an email: .